From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Windows 10 Pro 64bit in Virtualbox
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 10:05:43
1 > On Sat, May 22, 2021, 17:02 <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > > Is anybody running Windows 10 Pro 64bit in Virtualbox?
3 > > Is it stable?
4 > > Is it easy to resize?
5
6 I forgot to mention stability and resizing ...
7
8 In one case after a major update the Win10 desktop became terribly unstable,
9 menus not showing up, everything on the desktop taking minutes to respond to a
10 mouse click or keyboard press. Eventually I realised the transparency had
11 been enabled by the update and this was cause any desktop graphics to render
12 partially and with a lot of latency. Disabling transparency restored the
13 previous normal desktop behaviour. This was on a host with an old AMD-Radeon
14 APU. Other video cards and drivers may not have such a problem, but I thought
15 it worth mentioning.
16
17 Resizing the C:\ drive partition is straight forward, in most cases. You can
18 use 'VBoxManage modifyhd' in a terminal to increase the virtual disk size, or
19 the VBox GUI Virtual Media Manager tab. Then use the Windows Disk Management,
20 or boot the VM with GParted and resize the OS partition & filesystem.
21 However, Windows 10 tends to create additional partitions as part of
22 installation, or subsequent major updates. These are called System Reserve
23 Partitions (SRP). Initially one is created at the start of the disk to
24 contain bitlocker, boot and Windows Restore data. After certain major
25 updates, or if the Windows 10 installation was an in situ upgrade from an
26 older Windows 7 installation, such an SRP can be placed after the C:\ drive.
27 In one case, changing an installed system from MBR to GPT/UEFI also created an
28 ESP after the C:\ drive. It follows you won't be able to increase the size of
29 the C:\ partition without moving any partitions following it out of the way
30 first, increasing C:\, then restoring the moved partitions. Since an
31 otherwise 5 minute disk & partition resizing exercise can develop into a
32 prolonged and pre-planned effort, you'd be better off sizing up the virtual
33 disk before you start installing MSWindows.
34
35 Big upgrade releases every six months may require more temporary storage space
36 to create a backup in case the upgrade fails. If enough space is not
37 available on the disk, the the OS will ask you to insert a USB drive to be
38 used during the upgrade. You can also create and attach a new virtual disk
39 for this purpose.
40
41 Finally, there's the Windows 10 'Storage Spaces' replacing Dynamic Disks, if
42 you want to create a RAID in software. I understand you use it to add more
43 disks/partitions, like you would with a RAID, but I have never used this to
44 know what it can achieve in terms of resizing.