From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good file system that recovers from a power failure.
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 01:13:49
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 00:27 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Dale did
3 > opine thusly:
7 >>> It's my opinion that reiser is in security-fix-only mode from whoever is
8 >>> maintaining it. If everything else around it stays the same, the fs will
9 >>> obviously continue working just as it always did. But the surrounding
10 >>> system is not stable, it changes rapidly, especially in kernel space, so
11 >>> the odds are stacked against reiser for bitrot. For all these reasons, I
12 >>> regretfully switched my own systems over to ext4 some time ago. Rieser
13 >>> was a good fs whose time has come and gone and I no longer had warm and
14 >>> fuzzies about the future with it.
15 >>>
16 >> I'm not sure I EVER saw a update to reiserfs. I was hoping it was just
17 >> that good. lol
18 >>
19 >> This is also the reason I was considering moving to ext4 or something.
20 >> How has ext4 been treating you since the switch? I also assume you have
21 >> UPSs as well?
22 >>
23 > It's still early days, but ext4 has been good here on all machines. I don't
24 > have a UPS (couldn't be bothered really...) so the UPS is the device's
25 > battery. Which means me doing something really stupid and locking the machine
26 > up is the most common reason for hard reboots. It survived every time so far.
30 That sounds good. Your situation is not a theory but real and in
31 practice. We all know what happens to theories. :-(
32
33 Dale
34