From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:53:57
1 On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 09:07:20AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:34:25 -0500, forgottenwizard wrote:
3 >
4 > > So instead it should set a non-existant editor to the configured
5 > > default?
6 >
7 > Nano is not non-existent by default.
10 It isn't always on the users sytem. Providing a non-existent default
11 seems quite broken to me.
12
13 > > Another variable in make.conf may be a reasonable fix for this though
14 > > I'm sure someone will bitch about having to set $EDITOR twice on their
15 > > system.
16 >
17 > A more sensible approach would be for the ebuild to check which ebuild
18 > satisfies the virtual/editor dependency and set that. If the OP really
19 > cared about this "problem" he'd investigate providing such solutions
20 > instead of ranting about how Gentoo does not use his editor of choice by
21 > default.
24 > --
25 > Neil Bothwick
26 >
27 > .sig a .sog of sixpence.
28
29 The problem there would be if multiple editors provide virtual/editor
30 (such as on my system, which has both vim and ed installed). The ebuild
31 trying to automagically select what should be the default editor is a
32 bad idea, if not just horrible.