From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --sync keeps failing
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 10:54:33
1 On Tuesday, 3 August 2021 11:49:23 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 09:55:46 +0100, Michael wrote:
3 > > Anyhow, I recall using git to sync a live ebuild -9999 from some repo
4 > > and portage started downloading gigabytes of cruft. Presumably whole
5 > > decades of old commits I didn't need or have space for. I subsequently
6 > > discovered I had to set "EGIT_CLONE_TYPE=shallow" in make.conf, but I
7 > > can't find this variable in the man page now. I suppose/hope portage
8 > > using git will only download more recent commits?
9 >
10 > It does, you get just the current state of the tree by default, it's just
11 > orders of magnitude faster, even compared with using rsync with a local
12 > mirror. And I don't have to worry abut syncing too often and upsetting
13 > infra as I'm syncing from github.
14
15 I see, thanks Neil. Does it now check sigs of downloaded data, like rsync
16 does?