From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --sync keeps failing
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 10:49:39
1 On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 09:55:46 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > Anyhow, I recall using git to sync a live ebuild -9999 from some repo
4 > and portage started downloading gigabytes of cruft. Presumably whole
5 > decades of old commits I didn't need or have space for. I subsequently
6 > discovered I had to set "EGIT_CLONE_TYPE=shallow" in make.conf, but I
7 > can't find this variable in the man page now. I suppose/hope portage
8 > using git will only download more recent commits?
9
10 It does, you get just the current state of the tree by default, it's just
11 orders of magnitude faster, even compared with using rsync with a local
12 mirror. And I don't have to worry abut syncing too often and upsetting
13 infra as I'm syncing from github.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.