From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --sync keeps failing
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 10:13:35
1 On Tuesday, 3 August 2021 02:28:09 BST John Covici wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 18:42:29 -0400,
3 >
4 > Michael wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Monday, 2 August 2021 22:17:35 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 > > > On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 13:01:40 +0100, Michael wrote:
8 > > > > > I have this problem every month. Why does it fail? Is it just a
9 > > > > > timeout because my network is slow? Can that be tweaked?
10 > > > >
11 > > > > I get this problem over here, but on rare occasions. Leaving it for
12 > > > > half a day usually fixes it. Have you tried a different rsync mirror?
13 > > > > You can use 'mirrorselect -i -r' for this task.
14 > > >
15 > > > I used to see this from time to time, but then I switched to using git
16 > > > instead of rsync and haven't seen it again. There's the added bonus that
17 > > > syncing is MUCH faster too.
18 > >
19 > > Last time I looked at git for portage it was not not using gpg to verify
20 > > the downloaded data - has this feature been added since then?
21 >
22 > I don't know when you last looked, but I see it checking the signature
23 > when downloading from git.
24
25 It was some inordinate time ago - can't recall when exactly. It was after
26 portage started using gpg with rsync and quarantined any fetched files after
27 they were downloaded until their signatures were validated. As I understood
28 at the time the difference with using git was it would only check the top
29 commit in the repository had a valid signature, but not what eventually landed
30 at the local PC. Also, even to do this check it required you have enabled
31 "sync-git-verify-commit-signature = yes" - but according to 'man portage' it
32 defaults to "no".
33
34 Anyhow, I recall using git to sync a live ebuild -9999 from some repo and
35 portage started downloading gigabytes of cruft. Presumably whole decades of
36 old commits I didn't need or have space for. I subsequently discovered I had
37 to set "EGIT_CLONE_TYPE=shallow" in make.conf, but I can't find this variable
38 in the man page now. I suppose/hope portage using git will only download more
39 recent commits?