From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer plugin
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:02:44
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 November 2009 12:47:57 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sunday 22 November 2009 10:43:01 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Mick wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> Hi All,
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> I was using mplayerplug-in until it was substituted in the tree for
13 >>>>> gnome- mplayer. I was happier with mplayerplug-in because I could also
14 >>>>> access the stream/file in /tmp/ and save it, resize it, replay it, etc.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> With gnome-mplayer all I get is a socket in /tmp which I can't access
17 >>>>> directly - mplayer won't play it. The embedded video is always at
18 >>>>> maximum size filling up the browser window and at poor quality videos
19 >>>>> the picture deteriorates. On top of it I find gnome-mplayer is a bit
20 >>>>> clunky with regards to its controls (I can't just drag the cursor to
21 >>>>> watch a previous point in the video as smoothly as I could with
22 >>>>> mplayerplug-in). Is there a better alternative, more akin to the
23 >>>>> mplayerplug-in?
24 >>>>>
25 >>>> If you have Firefox installed, you can use 'download helper' to grab
26 >>>> those videos really easy. It works on youtube and other sites really
27 >>>> well.
28 >>>>
29 >>> Thanks Dale, but I have no problem with flash embedded videos - they
30 >>> don't use the gnome-mplayer.
31 >>>
32 >
33 > I think this is a mistake on my part: gnome-mplayer seems to be a dependency
34 > of gecko-mediaplayer.
37 >> There may be a misunderstanding on this. With the download helper, you
38 >> go to a site that has a video you want, instead of copying it from /tmp
39 >> or where ever it is stored, you click on a button and save it where ever
40 >> you want to save it. If you don't like the file format that it is in,
41 >> it will convert it for you too.
44 > Sure, but from what I figured this FF addon is only good for Flash embedded
45 > videos. I assume (because I can't download it right now) that it won't work
46 > with e.g.:
47 >
48 > http://www.amd.com/us-
49 > en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/T64X2_animation.wmv
52 I went to that link and downloaded the video with no problem at all.
53 Once it started to playing, I hit the download button and saved it to my
54 desktop. It plays fine with splayer which uses mplayer as the back
55 end. It even converted it to a mp4 for me.
56
57 Dale
58