From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer plugin
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:07:41
1 On Sunday 22 November 2009 12:47:57 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 22 November 2009 10:43:01 Dale wrote:
4 > >> Mick wrote:
5 > >>> Hi All,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> I was using mplayerplug-in until it was substituted in the tree for
8 > >>> gnome- mplayer. I was happier with mplayerplug-in because I could also
9 > >>> access the stream/file in /tmp/ and save it, resize it, replay it, etc.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> With gnome-mplayer all I get is a socket in /tmp which I can't access
12 > >>> directly - mplayer won't play it. The embedded video is always at
13 > >>> maximum size filling up the browser window and at poor quality videos
14 > >>> the picture deteriorates. On top of it I find gnome-mplayer is a bit
15 > >>> clunky with regards to its controls (I can't just drag the cursor to
16 > >>> watch a previous point in the video as smoothly as I could with
17 > >>> mplayerplug-in). Is there a better alternative, more akin to the
18 > >>> mplayerplug-in?
19 > >>
20 > >> If you have Firefox installed, you can use 'download helper' to grab
21 > >> those videos really easy. It works on youtube and other sites really
22 > >> well.
23 > >
24 > > Thanks Dale, but I have no problem with flash embedded videos - they
25 > > don't use the gnome-mplayer.
26
27 I think this is a mistake on my part: gnome-mplayer seems to be a dependency
28 of gecko-mediaplayer.
29
30 > There may be a misunderstanding on this. With the download helper, you
31 > go to a site that has a video you want, instead of copying it from /tmp
32 > or where ever it is stored, you click on a button and save it where ever
33 > you want to save it. If you don't like the file format that it is in,
34 > it will convert it for you too.
35
36 Sure, but from what I figured this FF addon is only good for Flash embedded
37 videos. I assume (because I can't download it right now) that it won't work
38 with e.g.:
39
40 http://www.amd.com/us-
41 en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/T64X2_animation.wmv
42
43 > Just as a example, I go to youtube and find a neat Jeff Dunham video.
44
45 YouTube and the likes use Adobe Flash to stream content.
46
47 > The misunderstanding may be on my part. Maybe I don't quite get what
48 > you are doing.
49
50 I don't really like the gnome-mplayer interface which is used by the gecko-
51 mediaplayer plugin. I was looking for alternative plugins, but I suspect that
52 there aren't any.
53
54 Anyway, not a major issue.
55 --