From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer plugin
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:03:52
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 November 2009 10:43:01 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi All,
7 >>>
8 >>> I was using mplayerplug-in until it was substituted in the tree for
9 >>> gnome- mplayer. I was happier with mplayerplug-in because I could also
10 >>> access the stream/file in /tmp/ and save it, resize it, replay it, etc.
11 >>>
12 >>> With gnome-mplayer all I get is a socket in /tmp which I can't access
13 >>> directly - mplayer won't play it. The embedded video is always at
14 >>> maximum size filling up the browser window and at poor quality videos the
15 >>> picture deteriorates. On top of it I find gnome-mplayer is a bit clunky
16 >>> with regards to its controls (I can't just drag the cursor to watch a
17 >>> previous point in the video as smoothly as I could with mplayerplug-in).
18 >>> Is there a better alternative, more akin to the mplayerplug-in?
19 >>>
20 >> If you have Firefox installed, you can use 'download helper' to grab
21 >> those videos really easy. It works on youtube and other sites really well.
24 > Thanks Dale, but I have no problem with flash embedded videos - they don't use
25 > the gnome-mplayer.
28 There may be a misunderstanding on this. With the download helper, you
29 go to a site that has a video you want, instead of copying it from /tmp
30 or where ever it is stored, you click on a button and save it where ever
31 you want to save it. If you don't like the file format that it is in,
32 it will convert it for you too.
33
34 Just as a example, I go to youtube and find a neat Jeff Dunham video. I
35 click for it to start playing the video as usual. Once it starts to
36 play, I click on the little download button and then tell it to save it
37 to my directory for videos. From that point on, I can play the video
38 using mplayer or what ever. I currently use smplayer myself.
39
40 I also noticed recently, it works with flash videos too. I don't know
41 if it did this all the time or if it just started but it is nice
42 especially since some videos get taken down sometimes. If it is on my
43 system, I have it even if it gets removed later.
44
45 The misunderstanding may be on my part. Maybe I don't quite get what
46 you are doing.
47
48 Dale
49