From: "Petri Rosenström" <petri.rosenstrom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qemu-KVM on amd64: clock in Windows guest
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:49:26
1 On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 >
3 > Greets,
4 >
5 > does anyone else run KVM on gentoo as well?
6 >
7 > I delivered a amd64-server these days and a Win7-pro-guest runs on it.
8 >
9 > Now they tell me they have clock issues in the guest :-(
10 >
11 > I found
12 >
13 > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/chap-Virtualization-KVM_guest_timing_management.html
14 >
15 > and ran "bcdedit /set {default} USEPLATFORMCLOCK on", didn't help, even
16 > after reboot. Does it really have to say "{default}" ??
17 >
18 > I don't know where to start.
19 >
20 > The host kernel provides /dev/rtc, does currently have CPU_FREQ=y, but
21 > afai understand I don't use that behavior (no driver or governor loaded).
22 >
23 > Is CONFIG_HPET needed? ->
24 >
25 > # grep -i hpet .config
26 > CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
27 > CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
28 > # CONFIG_HPET is not set
29 >
30 > -
31 >
32 > A kind of workaround is maybe using ntp in the guest?
33 > I will try that asap.
34 >
35 > Thanks for any help on this!
36 >
37 > Stefan
41 Hi,
42
43 I use kvm on gentoo, I really don't use the clock on the windows
44 guests (I don't use windows vm) :). But I could guess that the issue
45 might be with localtime, so you could try using "-rtc base=localtime"
46 parameter with starting the windows host.
47
48 Best regards
49 Petri