From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] microcode applied?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 08:44:10
1 On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 00:15:03 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > > How do you build the microcode into the kernel? The only
4 > > > place I can see to do that in menuconfig is under Device Drivers;
5 > > > there's no such field under Firmware.
6 > >
7 > > The Device Drivers section is exactly where the microcode is included.
8 > > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE is the relevant symbol.
9 >
10 > Right. So which of the 95 files under /lib/firmware/intel-ucode do I
11 > specify? That's in addition to the 14 files I have for my amdgpu.
12
13 I found the simplest way to do it was to emerge intel-microcode with the
14 initramfs uSE flag. Then copy /lib/firmware/microcode.cpio to /boot and
15 add it as an initrd - before the existing one if you already use one.
16
17 That way it is still loaded at the same time but you don't need to
18 recompile your kernels (most of us probably have more than one in /boot)
19 each time there is a microcode update. The USE flag takes care of
20 selecting the correct file for your CPU.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Top Oxymorons Number 20: Synthetic natural gas