From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Saphirus Sage <saphirus497@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice 3.0.0 with dead keys
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 04:49:55
1 On Monday 04 May 2009 18:10:50 Saphirus Sage wrote:
2 > Jim Cunning wrote:
3 > > I´m trying to get OpenOffice 3.0.0 to recognize and enter French accented
4 > > characters (e.g., ´ + e or ^ + a , etc.) I´ve set up KDE keyboard
5 > > layouts and can get the proper characters displayed on console, xterm,
6 > > kmail and other windows, but the dead key combinations in OpenOffice are
7 > > simply dead--no characters produced at all. When switching back to the
8 > > US layout without dead keys, the same key presses to OpenOffice produce
9 > > two characters, as one would expect.
10 > >
11 > > I do this all the time with OpenOffice on my laptop with openSUSE 10.3.
12 > > Is there something I´ve not setup correctly on my gentoo system?
13 >
14 > Did you remember to compile OpenOffice with "LINGUAS=fr"? May be
15 > something to consider adding to your make.conf to get around
16 > language/localization issues.
17
18 I'm not sure that's what I need. I would like OpenOffice to be in English,
19 not French, but do want to be able to enter accented characters as used in
20 French, German, etc., when I select the us-intl keyboard layout.
21
22 Where can I get documentation on the environment variables OpenOffice build
23 uses, and how OpenOffice uses alternate keyboard layouts? I've googled, but
24 nothing I've encountered describes how to avoid my situation.
25 --
26 Jim