From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 22:05:32
1 On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 May 2012 17:01:07 -0400
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Alan McKinnon
6 >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > On Sun, 13 May 2012 14:12:04 -0400
8 >> > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >> >
10 >> >> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon
11 >> >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
12 >> >> > [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens
13 >> >> > when you are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format
14 >> >> > without consulting the other experts out there (who will always
15 >> >> > outnumber you)
16 >> >>
17 >> >> Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
18 >> >> released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware
19 >> >> of is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until
20 >> >> 1993, which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's
21 >> >> stuff didn't come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade
22 >> >> later, in 2005.
23 >> >>
24 >> >> Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but
25 >> >> they weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly
26 >> >> possible to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't
27 >> >> mux your streams properly.
28 >> >>
29 >> >> (This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and
30 >> >> dates may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)
31 >> >>
32 >> >
33 >> > You missed the essence of my post entirely.
34 >>
35 >> Anti-Microsoft snark? I thought I was calling you on it.
38 > I said .avi is a crappy format, and it is, that much is obvious to
39 > anyone who understands the simple basics of what a container should do.
40
41 The MPEG group had only been formed four years prior to AVI's release,
42 and didn't release their first standard until a year later. Meanwhile,
43 Microsoft needed a video file format that:
44
45 1) Was a file format that sat on disk
46 2) Synchronized audio and video
47 3) Integrated cleanly with their being-developed operating system (AVI
48 is very closely related to the Video for Windows API. It's worth
49 noting that WMF, another Microsoft format from this time, is
50 essentially a serialized form of their drawing primitives.)
51 4) Ran smoothly on an 80386 at 33MHz with a 16-bit, 8MHz data bus
52 between the CPU and persistent storage.
53
54 With the exception of perhaps (3), those are the "basics." Consider
55 that this was released in 1992, and then consider that it had probably
56 been under development for at least a couple years prior.
57
58 I won't disagree that AVI is a crappy format by today's standards, and
59 that it should be avoided where possible, but what you consider simple
60 and obvious today was *new* at the time, and so not simple and
61 obvious.
62
63 > It would have been obvious to the .avi developers then. And yet it
64 > somehow made it's way to market and got used extensively
65 >
66 > You asked what alternatives were available. That is not a question I
67 > asked. It matters nothing that the public used .avi so much (they had
68 > precious little in the way of choice). So whether they had
69 > alternatives or not is irrelevant.
70
71 It's entirely relevant if you want to consider whether not the
72 expertise to come up with a 2012-modern format *existed* in the
73 lead-up time to 1992.
76 > The entire gist of my post was about how .avi as it stands is crappy
77 > and should never have been released by an entity with the engineering
78 > clout of Microsoft as they don't have the excuse of being one dude in
79 > Mom's basement who didn't know better. They really should have known
80 > better.
81
82 Seriously, why? Why do you think that the entire engineering clout of
83 a company which hadn't yet taken over the desktop market(!) would be
84 focused on perfecting AVI, one piece of a large,
85 already-late-to-market product? They had a bunch of difficult things
86 to pay attention to, such as mixing protected-mode and real-mode
87 applications on hardware in a task-switching environment, and working
88 around compatibility for programs whose developers still assumed they
89 had full run of the system. On a 386.
92 :wq