From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a minimalistic system
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:08:22
1 Vlad Dogaru ha scritto:
4 > I have 384 megs of RAM and no imediate possibility of buying more. I
5 > realise it is arguably sufficient for many lightweight applications,
6 > but, as I mentioned, it is becoming increasingly frustrating, even with
7 > the real power of Gentoo and Fluxbox (the two have changed my life --
8 > literally).
9
10 384 megs are low but not so bad. I did run a Kubuntu 6.06 system at work
11 using full KDE+Firefox+Thunderbird, Gimp, Inkscape, kpdf etc. and yes,
12 it was slow and I had to take care not to keep too much apps on at the
13 same time (otherwise it was swap hell), but it worked.
14 Of course now that I added 512 mb it's much better...
15
16 I think you just have to be careful about apps, but not worry too much.
17
18 > I read up on Dillo and it looks promising. I will try it. As for Opera,
19 > I used it on Windows for quite some time, but at one point I started to
20 > be annoyed by the numerous marginally useful (at least to me) features
21 > that got added. I still regard it as a great browser, comparable to
22 > Firefox, but not what I am looking for.
23
24 I'd keep firefox or opera installed as a lifeboat, anyway. Dillo and
25 links cannot match the other two for many features you *may* have the
26 need sometimes.
27
28 Unfortunately the other good browser I'm aware of (Konqueror) requires
29 kdelibs, that probably you're trying to avoid...
30
31 m.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list