From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] open-vm-tools install fails because I have modules disabled??
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:42:41
1 On 26/04/2013 18:37, Jarry wrote:
2 > On 26-Apr-13 18:11, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> compile fails with lots of
4 >>
5 >> "...error "No Module support in this kernel. Please configure with
6 >> CONFIG_MODULES"
7 >>
8 >> Please tell me that I'm not going to have to enable modules just so I
9 >> can use the vmware tools??
10 >
11 > Yes you are. If you want to use vm-tools ("open" or "vmware"),
12 > you have to enable kernel modules. And also some strange options
13 > (i.e. vmware-graphics). And as I told you previously, updating
14 > to new kernel is really pain in a**. That's why I got rid of
15 > the whole vm-stuff and I'm happy without it...
18 Are you aware of "module-rebuild rebuild"?
19
20 Nice little scriplet that reduces all that pain to running one single
21 command after installing a new built kernel.
24 Alan McKinnon
25 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com