From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is GWN dead?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:32:10
1 On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:42:35AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote
2
3 > The official release is an indication of the life of a distribution
4 > or package. Look at one of Keith Packard's reasons for leaving
5 > Xfree86 (slow release cycle), or Gnome's recent push to speed their
6 > release cycle.
7
8 One, of several, reason I left Windows in 2001 was...
9 1995 Windows95
10 1996 Windows95 OSr2
11 1998 Windows98
12 1999 Windows98SE
13 2000 Windows ME and Windows2000
14 2001 WindowsXP
15 ..and I believed MS when they said Vista was "real soon now"<g>.
16
17 I don't use linux to install linux, I use linux as a tool to do email,
18 spreadsheets, web surfing, etc. And I've got nothing on businesses.
19 They don't want their high-paid admins constantly spending their time
20 installing "the latest and greatest". Businesses want to "set it and
21 forget it". A few data points...
22
23 in the leadup to Y2K, there were a lot of mainframe/mini programs
24 replaced that had been running unmodified for 10 or 20 years
25
26 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04/12/missing_novell_server_discovered_after/
27 tells about a university where a wall was built that happened to
28 imprison a server. It kept happily chugging away, and it wasn't until 4
29 years later, during an audit, that it was finally tracked down, by
30 following the network cabling
31
32 one of Redhat's selling points with Redhat Enterprise Linux is the
33 promise of a slower release cycle. Timely security patches, yes. But OS
34 version du jour, NO.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 I'm not repeating myself
39 I'm an X Window user... I'm an ex-Windows-user
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list