From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booted Gentoo the first time on the Arietta.G25...but...
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:31:11
1 On 19/11/14 18:12, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 <snip>
3
4 > Hi Joost, I tried that for the Beaglebone Black I also use. It will
5 > not work constantly enough well to setup a complete system. There are
6 > two sources for trouble: The makefiles access "meta-applications" like
7 > moc fpr qt and either try to start a arm binary on my AMD64 PC or they
8 > use moc of the AMD64 arch. and produce some rubbish from the point of
9 > view of the ARM arch. (ok, moc is bad example, since it is platform
10 > idenpendant regarding ist outout I think, but...) Or: The software
11 > isn't written that clean and import low level headers (kernel...) of
12 > the AMD64 platform into the ARM compilation results. I also tried
13 > distcc and it does not work for me. May be its me or distcc. The
14 > results were..."mixed"... Since that I compile all the stuff (accept
15 > the kernel itsself because it is "self contained") on the target
16 > itsself. With the beaglebone black this only a matter of waiting (not
17 > THAT long: 1GHz CPU single core with 512MB RAM and an mobile hd). With
18 > that tiny Arietta and await waiting for days until I have a system of
19 > my choice. But that is ok, since the main purpose of this tiny Linux
20 > thingy is only the steering of some electronics. Nothing fancy... So I
21 > need only a few addtional applications. But the beaglebone black is
22 > acapble enough to run SIMH emulating a PDP11 with an ancient UNIX
23 > (with an original login of Dennis Ritchie ;) at 100% "original speed".
24 > Or an ATARi800 emulator (also at 100% original speed). Or other nice
25 > things... :) Best regards, Meino
26
27 if you are having difficulty with [1] then you could always have an
28 emulator running on real hardware, doing distcc. you can set distcc to
29 do no compiling locally by excluding localhost. then you can have your
30 multi cores running happily within a virtualbox doing nothing more than
31 compiling for the limited arm device.
32 on the virtualbox device, if you then ensure to have in
33 /etc/portage/make.conf
34 FEATURES="buildpkg"
35 then you get binary packages for free. this means that if something goes
36 wrong with the the device or you want to do this again on another device
37 you can use emerge -K (as long as you set the package location in
38 advance of course) and the hours of compiling become copy, untar, install
39
40 [1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc/Cross-Compiling