From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booted Gentoo the first time on the Arietta.G25...but...
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:12:58
1 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [14-11-19 18:52]:
2 > On 19 November 2014 18:44:28 CET, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [14-11-19 17:00]:
4 > >> On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 09:00:37 PM thegeezer wrote:
5 > >> > On 18/11/14 18:27, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
6 > >> > > How can I configure Gentoo on the Arietta board
7 > >> > > to use ethernet-over-usb to be started while
8 > >> > > booting the Arietta board?
9 > >> > >
10 > >> > > By "replace everything eth0 with usb0" ??? ;)
11 > >> >
12 > >> > if you still have emdebian image you can boot that and see which
13 > >modules
14 > >> > are loaded - that would be a start. a nice dodge is
15 > >> > # find /sys | grep drivers
16 > >> > you can also check everything in "make menuconfig" under the
17 > >section
18 > >> > device drivers\network device support\usb network adaptors
19 > >> > that everything you _might_ need is selected
20 > >> > there is a chance that the gentoo image has what you need --- what
21 > >does
22 > >> > "lsusb" show you ? what about "ifconfig -a"
23 > >> > usb ethernet devices have very odd names ... names such as
24 > >enp0s29u1u2
25 > >> > so it would be "replace everything eth0 with enp0s29u1u2"
26 > >>
27 > >> Meino,
28 > >>
29 > >> You might also want to check if there is any firmware that is not
30 > >being
31 > >> found/loaded.
32 > >> For me, that is usually the case when something isn't working.
33 > >>
34 > >> --
35 > >> Joost
36 > >>
37 > >
38 > >Hi thegeezer, Hi Joost,
39 > >
40 > >it was that simple, that I *had* to overlooked it: The modules
41 > >for ethernet over usb had to be loaded before using that interface...
42 > >WUMMER!
43 > >Sometimes..... :)
44 > >
45 > >I added the following modules:
46 > > usb_f_rndis
47 > > u_ether
48 > > usb_f_ecm
49 > > usb_f_ecm_subset
50 > > usb_f_eem
51 > > g_ether
52 > > at91_udc
53 > > atmel_usba_udc
54 > > libcomposite
55 > >
56 > >and I am not sure, whether some of them are not necassary for that
57 > >purpose...but with this in /etc/conf.d/modules it works.
58 > >
59 > >Current status is:
60 > >* Board boots with Robert Nelsons linux kernel for ARM and a device
61 > > tree blob by acmesystems and a stage3 rootfs (armv5tel) by the one
62 > > and only Gentoo.
63 > >* The board is accessible via ssh
64 > >* I am currently downloading (emerge -f) some applications I need,
65 > > compiling on this board is an exercise in patience... 8). After
66 > > the download the board can compile the stuff without using my PC
67 > > as router to the internet. So it does not harm to power the board
68 > > with 100mA over several days...
69 > >
70 > >Best regards,
71 > >Meino
72 >
73 > You can't use distcc and a crosscompiler on your desktop for this?
74 >
75 > --
76 > Joost
77 > --
78 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
81 Hi Joost,
82
83 I tried that for the Beaglebone Black I also use.
84 It will not work constantly enough well to setup
85 a complete system. There are two sources for trouble:
86 The makefiles access "meta-applications" like moc fpr qt
87 and either try to start a arm binary on my AMD64 PC or
88 they use moc of the AMD64 arch. and produce some rubbish
89 from the point of view of the ARM arch.
90 (ok, moc is bad example, since it is platform idenpendant
91 regarding ist outout I think, but...)
92 Or: The software isn't written that clean and import
93 low level headers (kernel...) of the AMD64 platform
94 into the ARM compilation results.
95 I also tried distcc and it does not work for me.
96 May be its me or distcc. The results were..."mixed"...
97 Since that I compile all the stuff (accept the kernel
98 itsself because it is "self contained") on the target
99 itsself. With the beaglebone black this only a matter of
100 waiting (not THAT long: 1GHz CPU single core with 512MB RAM
101 and an mobile hd).
102 With that tiny Arietta and await waiting for days until
103 I have a system of my choice.
104 But that is ok, since the main purpose of this tiny Linux
105 thingy is only the steering of some electronics. Nothing fancy...
106 So I need only a few addtional applications.
107
108 But the beaglebone black is acapble enough to run SIMH
109 emulating a PDP11 with an ancient UNIX (with an original
110 login of Dennis Ritchie ;) at 100% "original speed".
111 Or an ATARi800 emulator (also at 100% original speed).
112 Or other nice things... :)
113
114 Best regards,
115 Meino