From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 03:38:49
1 On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:21:44 pm Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 15:26 +0100 schrieb Florian Philipp:
5 > > You can buy so called "archival grade" DVD-Rs that should work for 10-20
6 > > years in a good environment. There are hugh differences between
7 > > products. In germany you can buy very good ones from Verbatim for around
8 > > 2€/disk.
9 >
10 > This can be hard to find in my mid-sized Brazilian city. If I lived in
11 > the mega-metropolis of São Paulo, this would be far easier. And thanks
12 > very much for recommending Verbatim. I have heard of Taiyo Yuden, but
13 > that would likely be far harder to find.
14 >
15 > Speaking of md5sum/shasum, do you know some tool that adds data
16 > redundancy? I heard dvddistaster does this, but I guess it is limited
17 > to DVDs. It would be great fo find a general data redundancy tool. In
18 > the moment, with the tools I know, the best I can do is store the
19 > files twice, with md5sums/shasums to decide which version is correct.
20
21 Have a look at app-arch/par2cmdline ( http://parchive.sourceforge.net/ ). It
22 will create parity files for an arbitrary set of data files and you can
23 choose your level of redundency (from 0 = now redundency, just integrity
24 checking, up to 100%). Although expect your parity files to be on the order
25 of the percentage for size, i.e. 50% redundancy for some given files to take
26 about 50% of their size for the parity files).
27
28 The down side I find with the tool is that it doesn't currently support
29 directories. This isn't so bad for creating parity files, but during
30 checking/restore, the program expects all files to exist in the current
31 directory, despite which sub-dirs they were originally in. You can get around
32 this with a tar/rar/zip first, then calculate parities on the archive though.
33
34 > By the way, it seems from my (limited) experience that even sha256sums
35 > are IO-bound (even on my not-so-powerful Athlon XP 2600+), so it makes
36 > sense to calculate sha256sums (as instead of md5sums) even it is
37 > overkill. To be doubly sure, one can calculate sha256sums *and*
38 > md5sums.