From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:01:05
1 On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > The SMART test, long version, will do a very reasonable job catching problems. Run it 2 or 3 times if it makes you feel better.
4 >
5 > Chris's suggestion about Spinrite is another option but it is slow, slow, slow. Might take you weeks? On a drive that large if it worked at all.
6
7 Is spinrite really still of any use in this era? I'm skeptical of
8 that. Maybe in the pre-IDE days it made more sense.
9
10 I'd echo the SMART test. If you don't want to trust the vendor then I run:
11 badblocks -b 4096 -v -w -s /dev/disk/by-id/...
12
13 Note that this is a DESTRUCTIVE write test. There are also
14 non-destructive read-only tests but obviously this is more limited in
15 capability. It will write a series of patterns to the disk and read
16 them back. Barring some really clever firmware it should detect any
17 kind of media error. I think there might be software that writes
18 pseudo-random patterns and then reads them back, which would defeat
19 any firmware fiddling.
20
21 For a drive in the 10-12TB size you're talking about a day or so per
22 pass, so 4 passes will take a few days. Can't get around 12TB /
23 (120MB/s). If I'm not in a hurry to use the space I'll still do it as
24 nothing is worse than starting to migrate onto a drive and then having
25 to back out, and that is with redundant data.
28 Rich