From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:05:10
1 On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:01 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > The SMART test, long version, will do a very reasonable job catching
6 problems. Run it 2 or 3 times if it makes you feel better.
7 > >
8 > > Chris's suggestion about Spinrite is another option but it is slow,
9 slow, slow. Might take you weeks? On a drive that large if it worked at all.
10 >
11 > Is spinrite really still of any use in this era? I'm skeptical of
12 > that. Maybe in the pre-IDE days it made more sense.
15 I used it a few years ago on some 2TB or 3TB drives, more out of curiosity
16 when I found my old license. Other than that I agree with you Rich