From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:17:02
1 On Thursday 03 Jan 2013 10:33:52 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:43 +0000
3 >
4 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Hello list,
6 > >
7 > > When kmail was upgraded to 4.9.3 last month it made a complete hash
8 > > of my e- mail system. In the end I moved my user out of the way and
9 > > created a new user. Importing the e-mails from a backup of the old
10 > > version omitted large numbers of e-mails, including a lot of complete
11 > > folders. I also noticed that kmail had not created a trash folder.
12 >
13 > So the kdepim devs STILL haven't fixed that one? Oh dear.
14 >
15 > tldr; longish post. Short version: Use something else. It's mail, not
16 > software magic.
17 >
18 > I ran into something much the same long ago with kamil2
19 > around the 4.3 or 4.5 era. Imports wouldn't work, akonadi was displaying
20 > essentially random mails in random folders in no special order, and I
21 > was losing mail.
22 >
23 > Eventually, after much physical and spiritual pain, I figured that what
24 > was really happening was probably akonadi importing the mail to
25 > $SOMEWHERE and $AT_SOME_RANDOM_TIME would index it properly; it would
26 > do this on the basis off $WHEN_IT_FELT_RIGHT_TO_DO_IT.
27 >
28 > This trick works awesomely well for caching thumbnails of my video
29 > collection for xbmc. It works less well for my mail. It's disastrous
30 > when the whole process is not documented, when the user has no
31 > visibility into it and no defined way of seeing what's going on, not
32 > even a progress meter. The traditional way of handling such
33 > asynchronous indexing problems is to provide an option where the user
34 > can force a re-index and the system will just chug along doing it
35 > displaying progress. If the mail app suspends itself while doing this,
36 > well that's fine, at least it ends in a reasonable time. But, kdepim at
37 > that stage had no such option.
38 >
39 > One other thing I discovered back then: if I killed akonadi & kdepim
40 > and rebooted out of sheer frustration, it would *throw* *away* all it's
41 > temporary files form $SOMEWHERE as above and corrupt it's own database.
42 > Leading to lost mail. If you just leave the damn thing alone for ages
43 > and ages it eventually sorts itself out, but you can't see how far
44 > along it is.
45 >
46 > Such shoddy alpha-quality software shipped and billed as enterprise
47 > production-ready was more than I could bear, so I just switched mail
48 > client to claws-mail.
49 >
50 > On 4.9.3 you are still experiencing something similar. Hmmm. Indicates
51 > to me a high probability of a systemic problem with the projects
52 > approach, something that is unlikely to ever get really fixed. In my
53 > opinion kdepim2 is vastly over-engineered and an attempt to solve a
54 > problem that does not actually exist. I recommend you use a different
55 > mail app.
56 >
57 > As I mentioned in the tldr, it's a mail app. There are many mail apps
58 > and none are super-special.
59
60 Thankfully, I'm still on kmail-1.13.7 and I am dreading the time that it will
61 no longer be available. I've used kmail for so many years now that everything
62 else I tried has been a great disappointment for me.
63
64 Last time I tried to upgrade to kmail 2 some time early last year (for the 4th
65 time) it made exactly the mess experienced by others, like:
66
67 - duplicate/multiple messages when I tried to delete them
68 - missing/disappearing messages
69 - inability to show anything other than the Inbox folder on IMAP4 accounts
70
71 I could swear that I waited for it to sync/resync, but I didn't leave the box
72 running overnight to see if that would fix this problem.
73
74 In all but one box I am not running a full KDE enchilada, so I don't know if
75 this has something to do with it. I just hope that new devs will eventually
76 take over this KDEPIM farce and something sane will surface for those of us
77 who still want/need to use a mail client.
80 Regards,
81 Mick

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature