From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Back up a server in real-time
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:31:34
1 It actually does a very fast, space efficient backup management.
2
3 As for restore, each backup is effectively an uncompressed fully
4 accessible mirror image so you can manually copy/tar/... etc back for
5 the full system, or individual files. The developers basically say we
6 have a working backup system where you can restore using standard tools
7 if needed, but we'll make it easier when we can get around to it.
8
9 Having versioned backups can be REALLY handy at times. Space efficiency
10 typically stabilises at 2x archive size depending on delta.
11
12 Downside it can hammer a disk - reiserfs is fine but ext2/3 was flaky.
13
14 moriah ~ # esearch dirvish
15 [ Results for search key : dirvish ]
16 [ Applications found : 1 ]
17
18 * app-backup/dirvish
19 Latest version available: 1.2.1
20 Latest version installed: 1.2.1
21 Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
22 Homepage: http://www.dirvish.org/
24 backup system.
25 License: OSL-2.0
26
27 Its worth a read on how its done - using smarts rather than brute force!
28
29 BillK
30