From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating an initrd for loading...
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:28:08
1 On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:35 -0400, Benjamen R. Meyer wrote:
2 > I'm working on a Sparc system (SunBlade 2000 Desktop Server) that needs
3 > an initrd image to load (due to having a QLA 2200 SCSI controller); but
4 > I am having some trouble with the initrd image.
5 >
6 > (I had tried the gentoo-sparc list, but it is slow - I'm not getting
8 > right now is solely the initrd image.)
9 >
10 > The problem I am having is that the kernel is complaining about not
11 > having the initrd image. I have SILO (sparc equiv of LILO) installed,
12 > and have told it of the initrd image, but the kernel doesn't seem to
13 > find it. (SILO reports all is well, so I can only assume it is finding
14 > the initrd image without a problem.)
15 >
16 > My main question comes down to this: I am using the 'genkernel' package
17 > to build & install the kernel and initrd image. Both show up in /boot.
18 > How much can I rely on genkernel to build a valid initrd image?
19
20 Try "genkernel menuconfig all" to check for a valid kernel config before
21 genkernel builds it. Refer to genkernel's man-page for further options.
22
23 > How can
24 > I mount the initrd image to verify it has the modules, etc. and verify
25 > it is a valid image?
26 >
27 There is a wiki-entry about it: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Initramfs
28