From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 20:25:51
1 On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 1:11 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 13:51:26 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >
5 > > If UUID is something you don't want to spend time learning right now,
6 > > try using labels at least. Just make sure YOU use unique labels for
7 > > each one. Hint. home-old, home-new works pretty well at times. At
8 > > least you know it is home and which is old and which is new. Notes may
9 > > help too. ;-)
10 >
11 > I agree on labels, they are far more readable. But I'm starting to think
12 > that duplicating partitions like this is asking for trouble. I think it
13 > would be better to create the partitions and filesystems you want on the
14 > new disk, then mount both and copy everything over with rsync. That was
15 > you won't get any conflicting UUIDs and you can set filesystem or
16 > partition labels as you see fit.
19 And correct me if I'm wrong but with rsync if something dies in process
20 you can usually start it back up and complete the job without starting over
21 from scratch.
22
23 I've avoided this thread until now but my preferred way to accomplish
24 what the OP set out to do was to do a very minimal install by hand, modify
25 any make/system specific options as has been discussed earlier, build a
26 kernel specific to the new machine, and then copy my world file and let
27 portage do the dirty work. Takes a lot of time but the system has always
28 been functional with few problems down the road.
29
30 After all, if you run Gentoo at all you MUST WANT to build software
31 from scratch. Why deny the fun of a complete machine rebuild? ;-)
32
33 Cheers,
34 Mark
35