From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 20:57:42
1 On 23/11/2020 20:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > > I agree on labels, they are far more readable. But I'm starting to think
3 > > that duplicating partitions like this is asking for trouble. I think it
4 > > would be better to create the partitions and filesystems you want on the
5 > > new disk, then mount both and copy everything over with rsync. That was
6 > > you won't get any conflicting UUIDs and you can set filesystem or
7 > > partition labels as you see fit.
10 > And correct me if I'm wrong but with rsync if something dies in process
11 > you can usually start it back up and complete the job without starting over
12 > from scratch.
13
14 If you dd the partition (which I'm planning to do), then there's no
15 problem of uuids - that's at the MBR GPT level.
16
17 The trouble with rsync is if your partition is heavily hard-linked, like
18 mine, you need to make sure you get your rsync options right or your
19 hard-disk usage explodes, and if you do get them right, your ram usage
20 explodes during the copy ... :-)
21
22 My problem is I'm going to be dd'ing a near-3TB near-full partition, and
23 my wall-time-usage is going to explode ...
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol