From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:47:10
1 On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:36:50 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > > > Which is why the USE flag exists, to avoid installing LVM.
4 > > >
5 > > > But it's not supported.
6 > >
7 > > In what way. I've just tried emerging lvm2 with
8 > > USE="device-mapper-only -thin" and it installed the device-mapper
9 > > stiff but none of the lvm executables, which seems to be exactly what
10 > > is wanted.
11 >
12 > use.local.desc:sys-fs/lvm2:device-mapper-only - Build only
13 > device-mapper and not the rest of LVM2 (UNSUPPORTED)
14
15 Aha!
16
17 So the choice is between an unsupported configuration or installing a
18 handful of binaries that you will never use. Unless space was an issue,
19 there's about 6NB difference, I'd go with the latter, although
20 UNSUPPORTED != DOESNOTWORK
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 I've got a Mickey Mouse PC with a Goofy operating system.