From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:34:33
1 On 30/07/2014 19:57, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 29.07.2014 19:04, schrieb behrouz khosravi:
3 >> Hello everyone.
4 >> I just concurred my fear and jumped to installing gentoo!
5 >> So far so good!
6 >> Before installing on my laptop and desktop, I am trying on virtual box
7 >> and the system is running Fluxbox very good.(default profile)
8 >> Now I am thinking about managing USE flags.
9 >> What if I disable everything in the make.conf ( I mean USE="-*" ) and
10 >> gradually add the needed flags to package.use?
11 > you will break you system.
12
13 Volker is correct.
14
15 The reason you will break your system is that you do not have enough
16 knowledge to know what to put back, and you don't know how to read the
17 error messages and know what they mean.
18
19 Here's what portage does NOT do:
20
21 Tell you that flag x is missing and this will cause issues a, b and c,
22 then give you exact instructions how to make it better.
25 Here's what portage DOES do:
26
27 Give you some weird error message with the word "backtrack" in it, or
28 messages like "no parents that could not be satisfied by other packages
29 in slot" or something about blockers in flashing red blink text, or it
30 might even just say nothing giving the impression everything succeeded.
31 And then your computer explodes.
34 Still wanna try USE="-*" ?
41 >> I am not trying to have severe control, I just want to expand my knowledge!
42 >> thanks.
43 >>
44 > then don't do stupid things like USE=-*
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com