From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbrake: Is it is or is it ain't in portage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:32:11
1 On 16 Aug 2010, at 20:52, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Stroller
3 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 >> On 16 Aug 2010, at 04:02, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>>
7 >>> My underling thing, if anyone can make other suggestions, is that my
8 >>> camera broke, and I had to get one in a hurry, and didn't really
9 >>> know what
10 >>> to look for. I wound up with a fairly good Sanyo 1080p camera and
11 >>> video
12 >>> recorder that's super light, and not too expensive. The problem is
13 >>> that its
14 >>> videos are MP4s, ...
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >> MP4 is a much better container format than .avi.
18 >>
19 >> I previously discussed this a little in July's "viewing .m4v files
20 >> with
21 >> totem" thread:
22 >> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg103363.html
23 >>
24 >> Use the `mplayer -identify` command given there to determine the
25 >> codec of
26 >> your video.
29 > The codec is H.264, which most of my readers don't have. They are
30 > non-technical which makes it a major pain, and I want out of it.
31
32 H264 is excellent - it's the best codec available today, and I would
33 have expected it to be widely supported. As far as browsers are
34 concerned, it's supported by about half of them, I think, natively via
35 HTML5. The reasons the others don't support it are patent related -
36 Mozilla won't incorporate h264 playback into Firefox, for instance,
37 because h264 is only free as in beer, not as in speech.
38
39 I would have thought H264 would be easy to remux into an .flv
40 container and host using an open-source YouTube-style player on your
41 own site. Alternatively, just open a free YouTube or Vimeo account and
42 upload your original .mp4 video files there. I appreciate that this
43 latter is not an optimal answer, however...
44
45 I stated that "I'm not convinced Handbrake is actually that good" - to
46 be fair, I don't know what *is* that good, short of an intimate
47 knowledge of video standards (interlacing, frame-rates &c &c) and
48 mplayer / ffmpeg / MP4box / other tools.
49
50 The reason the MP4 files out of your camera are so large is that
51 they're high-def and this very high video quality. Stuff recorded in
52 good light should look awesome, even on a huge great 42" TV. So you
53 will need to resize them smaller for the web (so, in fact, my previous
54 suggestion about remuxing h264 into an .flv container is useless for
55 you, until you've done that).
56
57 Try installing Handbrake and see if you get along with it - I have a
58 bias against it because I tried to rip studio-produced DVDs using it,
59 and had playback issues on the PS3. Maybe I'm being unfair. You might
60 also try media-video/h264enc - I think that is a wrapper script for
61 ffmpeg / mplayer, written by one of the mplayer devs.
62
63 Stroller.