From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 04:57:41
1 Am 11.06.2013 16:19, schrieb Nick Khamis:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > Was wondering what people are running these days, and how do they
5 > compare to the 10,000 dollar SAN boxes. We are looking to build a fiber
6 > san using IET and glusterFS, and was wondering what kind of luck people
7 > where having using this approach, or any for that matter.
8 >
9 > Kind Regards,
10 >
11 > Nick.
12
13 Hello Nick,
14
15 the question is, what are you doing with it and why do you think you
16 need a fibre channel SAN.
17 Our goal indeed is to get rid of the SAN infrastructure as it is
18 delicately to all kinds of failure with nearly zero fault tolerance.
19 An example, you have an hicup or a power failure in your network. SAN is
20 dead from nowon and must be reinitialized on the server. Simple NFS
21 comes back up without any fuzz.
22 Another, you boot your storage systems due to an os update or something
23 like that. Your SAN will be dead. NFS will just go on as if nothing
24 happened.
25 We use netapp storage systems which are NAS and SAN capable.
26 Another point is, that if you have a SAN lun, there is either no way to
27 increase or decrease size on the fly, on cifs or nfs you can resize your
28 share on the go.
29
30 So if you do not have a _really_ good reason to use a fribre channel
31 SAN, don't!
32
33 Regards,
34 Norman