From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 15:46:29
1 On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:37:56 -0500,
2 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > On 07/12/2017 07:44, John Covici wrote:
5 > > Hi. In preparing for the profile switch and the emerge -e world, I
6 > > have run into a serious problem with perl. I think I saw on this list
7 > > where perl 5.26 was going to have problems -- maybe until it is
8 > > stabilized -- but if I mask it off, I get the following:
9 >
10 > Unmask the latest perl and update world with the old profile
11 >
12 > This will go smoothly as the perl team did an excellent job making sure
13 > everything perl-ish in the tree works in concert with everything else.
14 > However I do recall that trying to do it with a partial world update
15 > didn't work - too many affected packages, so trying just perl + deps did
16 > not work. Rather do a normal world update.
17 >
18 > Once done, then switch your profile to 17.0 and do the giant emerge -e
19 > world that requires.
20 >
21 > tl;dr
22 >
23 > the news message about perl might make you think the sky will fall on
24 > your head and all your kittens will die, this is actually not true.
25 >
26 > The v5.26 updates mostly had to do with perl's search path for perl
27 > modules. Just like how we've frowned on having "." in the shell PATH for
28 > decades, perl now implemented something like that for modules too. The
29 > possible problem anticipated is that modules would now break if a
30 > modules could not find another module it needs. But this really only
31 > applied to modules outside the perl distribution itself. And the Gentoo
32 > perl team dealt with all that already
33 >
34 > It's widely discussed all over the internet in all the usual places, you
35 > are only affected if one of more of these applies:
36 >
37 > - you write perl modules yourself (solution: update your own code)
38 > - you use many ancient cpan modules that no-one touched for yonks
39 > (solution: maybe use currently supported modules instead)
40 > - you heavily rely on a third party perl app that might not have been
41 > updated - musicbrainz and radiator come to mind as examples (solution:
42 > harass your app vendor)
43 >
44 > --
45 > Alan McKinnon
46 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
50 So, I have already switched to the new profile, should I switch back,
51 do a regular world update, or do the world update with the new profile
52 -- I am compiling gcc as I write, although its not finished yet, I can
53 interrupt it if necessary.
56 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
57 How do
58 you spend it?
59
60 John Covici