From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 16:47:55
1 On 07/12/2017 17:46, John Covici wrote:
2 > On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:37:56 -0500,
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 07/12/2017 07:44, John Covici wrote:
6 >>> Hi. In preparing for the profile switch and the emerge -e world, I
7 >>> have run into a serious problem with perl. I think I saw on this list
8 >>> where perl 5.26 was going to have problems -- maybe until it is
9 >>> stabilized -- but if I mask it off, I get the following:
10 >>
11 >> Unmask the latest perl and update world with the old profile
12 >>
13 >> This will go smoothly as the perl team did an excellent job making sure
14 >> everything perl-ish in the tree works in concert with everything else.
15 >> However I do recall that trying to do it with a partial world update
16 >> didn't work - too many affected packages, so trying just perl + deps did
17 >> not work. Rather do a normal world update.
18 >>
19 >> Once done, then switch your profile to 17.0 and do the giant emerge -e
20 >> world that requires.
21 >>
22 >> tl;dr
23 >>
24 >> the news message about perl might make you think the sky will fall on
25 >> your head and all your kittens will die, this is actually not true.
26 >>
27 >> The v5.26 updates mostly had to do with perl's search path for perl
28 >> modules. Just like how we've frowned on having "." in the shell PATH for
29 >> decades, perl now implemented something like that for modules too. The
30 >> possible problem anticipated is that modules would now break if a
31 >> modules could not find another module it needs. But this really only
32 >> applied to modules outside the perl distribution itself. And the Gentoo
33 >> perl team dealt with all that already
34 >>
35 >> It's widely discussed all over the internet in all the usual places, you
36 >> are only affected if one of more of these applies:
37 >>
38 >> - you write perl modules yourself (solution: update your own code)
39 >> - you use many ancient cpan modules that no-one touched for yonks
40 >> (solution: maybe use currently supported modules instead)
41 >> - you heavily rely on a third party perl app that might not have been
42 >> updated - musicbrainz and radiator come to mind as examples (solution:
43 >> harass your app vendor)
44 >>
45 >> --
46 >> Alan McKinnon
47 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
51 > So, I have already switched to the new profile, should I switch back,
52 > do a regular world update, or do the world update with the new profile
53 > -- I am compiling gcc as I write, although its not finished yet, I can
54 > interrupt it if necessary.
58 No, I don't think you should revert the profile change. I understood
59 from your mail than you had not done that yet, and typed accordingly.
60
61 I think Michael is on the right track with backtrack - set it to
62 something very high like 1000, see if that gets to a solution.
66 Alan McKinnon
67 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com