From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 19:12:57
1 On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:42:16 -0500,
2 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > On 07/12/2017 17:46, John Covici wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:37:56 -0500,
6 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> On 07/12/2017 07:44, John Covici wrote:
9 > >>> Hi. In preparing for the profile switch and the emerge -e world, I
10 > >>> have run into a serious problem with perl. I think I saw on this list
11 > >>> where perl 5.26 was going to have problems -- maybe until it is
12 > >>> stabilized -- but if I mask it off, I get the following:
13 > >>
14 > >> Unmask the latest perl and update world with the old profile
15 > >>
16 > >> This will go smoothly as the perl team did an excellent job making sure
17 > >> everything perl-ish in the tree works in concert with everything else.
18 > >> However I do recall that trying to do it with a partial world update
19 > >> didn't work - too many affected packages, so trying just perl + deps did
20 > >> not work. Rather do a normal world update.
21 > >>
22 > >> Once done, then switch your profile to 17.0 and do the giant emerge -e
23 > >> world that requires.
24 > >>
25 > >> tl;dr
26 > >>
27 > >> the news message about perl might make you think the sky will fall on
28 > >> your head and all your kittens will die, this is actually not true.
29 > >>
30 > >> The v5.26 updates mostly had to do with perl's search path for perl
31 > >> modules. Just like how we've frowned on having "." in the shell PATH for
32 > >> decades, perl now implemented something like that for modules too. The
33 > >> possible problem anticipated is that modules would now break if a
34 > >> modules could not find another module it needs. But this really only
35 > >> applied to modules outside the perl distribution itself. And the Gentoo
36 > >> perl team dealt with all that already
37 > >>
38 > >> It's widely discussed all over the internet in all the usual places, you
39 > >> are only affected if one of more of these applies:
40 > >>
41 > >> - you write perl modules yourself (solution: update your own code)
42 > >> - you use many ancient cpan modules that no-one touched for yonks
43 > >> (solution: maybe use currently supported modules instead)
44 > >> - you heavily rely on a third party perl app that might not have been
45 > >> updated - musicbrainz and radiator come to mind as examples (solution:
46 > >> harass your app vendor)
47 > >>
48 > >> --
49 > >> Alan McKinnon
50 > >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
51 > >>
52 > >>
53 > >
54 > > So, I have already switched to the new profile, should I switch back,
55 > > do a regular world update, or do the world update with the new profile
56 > > -- I am compiling gcc as I write, although its not finished yet, I can
57 > > interrupt it if necessary.
61 > No, I don't think you should revert the profile change. I understood
62 > from your mail than you had not done that yet, and typed accordingly.
63 >
64 > I think Michael is on the right track with backtrack - set it to
65 > something very high like 1000, see if that gets to a solution.
68 I did switch back, but the only way I could do a "successful" update
69 was to mask off 5.26 and then it skipped the update and would have
70 been successful. If I switch to the new profile, I can do nothing as
71 far as perl goes. I will show the output of just trying to emerge
72 below, it seems there were many many packages still requiring 5.24.
73 This is with the new profile and backtrack set to 500.
74
75 instances within a single package slot have been pulled
76 !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
77
78 dev-lang/perl:0
79
80 (dev-lang/perl-5.26.1-r1:0/5.26::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
81 pulled in by
82 =dev-lang/perl-5.26* required by
83 (virtual/perl-ExtUtils-Manifest-1.700.0-r4:0/0::gentoo, installed)
84 ^ ^^^^^
85 dev-lang/perl (Argument)
86 (and 13 more with the same problems)
87
88 (dev-lang/perl-5.24.3:0/5.24::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
89 =dev-lang/perl-5.24* required by
90 (virtual/perl-Term-ANSIColor-4.40.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
91 ^ ^^^^^
92 dev-lang/perl:0/5.24= required by
93 (dev-perl/XML-Twig-3.520.0:0/0::gentoo, installed)
94 ^^^^^^^^
95 (and 260 more with the same problems)
96
97 NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted
98 above
99
100 It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
101 prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
102 possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
103 impossible to satisfy simultaneously. If such a conflict exists in
104 the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
105 not be installed simultaneously.
106
107 For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
108 page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
114 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
115 How do
116 you spend it?
117
118 John Covici