From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:31:36
1 Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi> [14-12-17 15:00]:
2 > > On Dec 17, 2014, at 14:13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:52:44 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>>> Yes, thats it: First download all stuff THEN start compiling.
7 >
8 > If I were you, I would setup your pc to do cross-compiling of your arietta's packages and build them into binpkg's. This could be all stored on the pc and accessed via nfs for example. Then the first dependency calculation would be done on the pc to build the packages and the second on arietta using only binary packages.
9 >
10 > You should keep /etc/portage, /var/lib/portage and /usr/portage on the PC and not modifiable from the arietta. This way you only need to install the run time dependencies to the aritte. And install from bin pkg is really fast.
11 >
12 > > Another alternative would be to use a USB to ethernet adaptor on the
13 > > embedded board and connect it directory to your router.
14 >
15 > This also sounds good. Or setup server which has the usb and is always on.
16 >
17 > --
18 > -Matti
19
20 Hi Matti,
21
22 thanks for your reply! :)
23
24 crosscompiling is a pain. I tried several ways to do that (distcc was
25 among them) and it fails too often, for two reasons: Often the sources
26 are not prepared to be crosscompiled an include headers of my PC
27 (64bit) into the build of my ARM boards (32bit). Second reason: If the
28 crosscompilation needs meta-tools like moc for qt it fails too. The
29 time to fiddle out that mess is nothing what I have... ;)
30
31 Ethernet over USB:
32 1.) For each update I have to rearrange my setup here then. Back and
33 forth. Back and forth...
34 2.) The DSL modem is running longer than needed. I dont like the idea
35 to have my internet connection running over such a long time
36 unattended.
37
38 The problem must be solved in software.
39
40 Best regards,
41 Meino