From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mini-PCIe SSD
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 04:08:42
1 >>> I just checked and I'm using BIOS version F2 which is the latest
2 >>> available. My hardware revision is v1.1. It sounds like I may be out
3 >>> of luck. The device does have a SATA3 port but I was hoping not to
4 >>> cram an entire 2.5" SSD in there to cut down on heat since it's
5 >>> fanless. Do I have any other options?
6 >>>
7 >>> - Grant
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> Is it possible that the device is DOA? Can you check it on another
11 >> laptop (or another device with the mini-PCIe slot?
12 >>
13 >> Alternatively maybe an adapter can be acquired to test it on a regular
14 >> PC. Maybe a USB -> PCIe mSata bridge adapter exists?
15 >>
16 >> I have had DOA RAM and such before, although not on a SSD.
19 > I've been researching this a lot today and I think there is an
20 > incompatibility between the Gigabyte 2807 and any mini-PCIe SSD. Most
21 > of those little SSDs are mSATA (although mine is PATA) and mSATA ports
22 > are physically compatible with mini-PCIe but not electrically
23 > compatible. I could get a SATA to mSATA adapter and connect via my
24 > SATA port, but even if the mSATA drive is then recognized, it is
25 > unlikely that I would be able to boot from it. I think this leaves me
26 > with a full SATA SSD as the only option which is fine. The Gigabyte
27 > 2807 is designed to work with them and even includes a bracket and
28 > cable. Surprisingly, my research has lead me to believe that an mSATA
29 > SSD may actually generate more heat than a SATA SSD.
30 >
31 > - Grant
34 For completeness, it might be possible to make use of an mSATA card on
35 this system by using one which has an onboard SATA controller (as the
36 Samsung ones are said to have) and booting over the network or to USB
37 as booting to miniPCI-E is unlikely to work.
38
39 - Grant