From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mini-PCIe SSD
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 22:55:06
1 >> I just checked and I'm using BIOS version F2 which is the latest
2 >> available. My hardware revision is v1.1. It sounds like I may be out
3 >> of luck. The device does have a SATA3 port but I was hoping not to
4 >> cram an entire 2.5" SSD in there to cut down on heat since it's
5 >> fanless. Do I have any other options?
6 >>
7 >> - Grant
10 > Is it possible that the device is DOA? Can you check it on another
11 > laptop (or another device with the mini-PCIe slot?
12 >
13 > Alternatively maybe an adapter can be acquired to test it on a regular
14 > PC. Maybe a USB -> PCIe mSata bridge adapter exists?
15 >
16 > I have had DOA RAM and such before, although not on a SSD.
19 I've been researching this a lot today and I think there is an
20 incompatibility between the Gigabyte 2807 and any mini-PCIe SSD. Most
21 of those little SSDs are mSATA (although mine is PATA) and mSATA ports
22 are physically compatible with mini-PCIe but not electrically
23 compatible. I could get a SATA to mSATA adapter and connect via my
24 SATA port, but even if the mSATA drive is then recognized, it is
25 unlikely that I would be able to boot from it. I think this leaves me
26 with a full SATA SSD as the only option which is fine. The Gigabyte
27 2807 is designed to work with them and even includes a bracket and
28 cable. Surprisingly, my research has lead me to believe that an mSATA
29 SSD may actually generate more heat than a SATA SSD.
30
31 - Grant