From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installed Gentoo on SSD - no bootable device
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 03:42:55
1 On 09/04/2014 08:14 PM, Joseph wrote:
2 > I'm still lost with this grab2, very confusing. Gentoo official
3 > documentation did not mention any of this :-/
4 >
5 > Official documentation did ask to create /dev/sda1 2M BIOS boot
6 > partition but there was no instruction how to mount it or format it.
7 > I was under impression Grub2 will do all of this.
8 > I booted with CD-minimal and there is no "mkdosfs" command.
9 >
10 > Do I need to format the /dev/sda1?
11 >
12 > If I do:
13 > mkfs -t vfat -F 32 -n efi-boot /dev/sda1
14 > mkfs.vfat: No such file or directory
17 The easiest method would be to chroot into your installation. From
18 there, you can format the EFI partition, then mount it.
19
20 If you don't have mkfs.vfat in your chroot, I think the package that has
21 it is dosfstools.
22
23 So basically:
24
25 1. chroot into your install (makes sure /boot is mounted before
26 chroot'ing in)
27 2. format the EFI partition, install dosfstools if required
28 3. mount the EFI partition to /boot/efi
29 4. grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi
30
31 The grub.cfg you showed before looked correct to me, the Gentoo
32 GNU/Linux entry was trying to boot off of root='hd0,gpt2' which is correct.
33
34 Dan