From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} anyone tried egroupware?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:27:42
1 On Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:07:55 AM Grant wrote:
2 > >> >>>>Has anyone tried egroupware? Any opinions on it?
3 > >> >>>>
4 > >> >>>>- Grant
5 > >> >>>>
6 > >> >>> Yes. I have been using the community version for several years.
7 > >> >>>
8 > >> >>> Originally for the calendar and addressbook. But gradually been using
9 > >> >>> the other stuff as well apart from that website module. (not logged
10 > >> >>> in
11 > >> >>> at the moment. Can't check the actual name)
12 > >> >>>
13 > >> >>> I quite like it. It does what it says on the box.
14 > >> >>> It's also easy to set up when you have some experience with other
15 > >> >>> webapps. Integrates well with Kontakt from KDE and probably also
16 > >> >>> others
17 > >> >>> (but can't comment on it)
18 > >> >>>
19 > >> >>> Is there anything in particular you want to know about it?
20 > >> >>>
21 > >> >>> --
22 > >> >>> Joost
23 > >> >>
24 > >> >> I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I should investigate.
25 > >> >> A thread like this with people whose opinions I trust saying they like
26 > >> >> it is extremely helpful. :)
27 > >> >
28 > >> > Is there any specific functionality you are looking for?
29 > >> > If yes, we can check if it has it for you.
30 > >>
31 > >> Actually I've never used groupware before and I'm hoping to figure out
32 > >> which of these packages is most highly recommended and then give it a
33 > >> try. tine20 and egroupware have demos I'm experimenting with.
34 > >
35 > > Use the one you end up feeling most comfortable with and that provides you
36 > > with the functionality and usability that is important to you.
37 > >
38 > > I quite like the usual stuff (email, calendar, addressbook, todolist) and
39 > > extra stuff (projects, bug/feature/support/.... tracker, wiki,
40 > > knowledgebase, bookmarklist) that is in egroupware and the seamless way
41 > > in which all these are integrated together and where you can easily link
42 > > different items together.
43 > > (Can't link directly to an email, but you can add an email to the
44 > > "infolog"
45 > > which can then be linked and/or converted to a todo-item, project, .....)
46 > >
47 > > There are a few things I still want to experiment with, including
48 > > something I think will allow me to automatically create certain items
49 > > from emails. For instance, an email to " support@×××××××.com " would be
50 > > either merged into an existing support-call or a new call created
51 > > depending on some filter.
52 > >
53 > > But that is something I'll play with over the next few months :)
54 > >
55 > > --
56 > > Joost
57 >
58 > Are you planning to tweak the software with its existing tools in
59 > order to make this happen, or code the new functionality? Either way,
60 > please let us know how it goes. That sort of automatic functionality
61 > would be great. Can that sort of thing be done manually as of now?
62 >
63 > - Grant
64
65 If you have it installed, go to:
66 "Tracking System"
67 Then open the menu (arrow pointing right, located on the left)
68 Select "Site Configuration"
69 Then tabsheet "Mail Handling"
70
71 The following is what it says in the online help:
72 ===
73 [Mail handling] tab: Here you can enable the option to check a mailbox for
74 incoming mails and handle those as ticket(replies).
75
76 <All options snipped>
77 ===
78
79 I can specify IMAP and POP3 as mailserver to check.
80
81 There are also options, from what I quickly read, where it's possible to have
82 the tracker queue (which is like bugzilla) visible on an external website.
83
84 As I don't need that functionality, neither the email handling, I haven't
85 looked into that myself yet.
86 But the email handling is something that could be usefull for me in the
87 future.
90 Joost