From: Eray Aslan <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on the server side
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 10:34:47
1 On 01.12.2007 09:03, Alan wrote:
2 > This used to be a debian system and was moved over to gentoo about 4
3 > years ago when I had been spending lots of time with gentoo on my
4 > desktop at home. I like gentoo, however I would exercise caution if
5 > you're deploying on "real" systems.
6
7 We have also moved from binary distros to Gentoo a few years ago.
8 Basically it was a choice between linux (gentoo) and *BSD.
9
10 [...]
11 > The less updates, the
12 > less surprises and the less chance you'll somehow accidently break
13 > someone's site doing a simple update late some night. Gentoo is still a
14 > fairly moving target in this respect.
15
16 Agree with the moving target bit.
17
18 > I think the secret is that if you run with gentoo you have to be
19 > prepared to upgrade EVERYTHING fairly often, and not bit by bit if
20 > you're uncomfortable with something it might be upgrading.
21
22 I find that there are really two relatively pain-free upgrade policies
23 for a production system. Either upgrade fairly often or "forklift
24 upgrade" i.e. remove the old server and intall the new one.
25
26 > And yes, I do plan to just bit the bullet and backup, upgrade everything
27 > and then deal with any upgrade "pains" as they come. Just not sure
28 > quite when :)
29
30 Good luck :)
33 Eray