From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on the server side
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 07:10:00
1 > I wasn't going to chime in until some real deployments have been
2 > mentioned.
3
4 Ditto.
5
6 > I run a home network that's pretty much gentoo-only. The server
7 > provides DNS, DHCP, LAMP, Posfix SMTP, IMAPS (courier), TFTP (bsd),
8 > SAMBA, NFS.
9 >
10 > I am currently pursuing a career in IT and expect to bring up some
11 > public servers towards the end of the year. needless to say, they'll
12 > be running gentoo too. I don't forsee any problems.
13 >
14 > I want to echo Ricardo's warning -- update conservatively! He's right
15 > -- after a while, you know which packages you can update safely and
16 > which are potential problems. Staging environment is crucial for
17 > gentoo becasue you'll be running binaries that have never really been
18 > tested ... or run ... ever.
19
20 I run a home server under gentoo as well, which serves me fine as a
21 personal box, and I also run a public server which runs on a fairly
22 beefy server and hosts a few websites, including a TDI (the VW car)
23 forum which is insanely popular and we push about 250G/month on it
24 alone.
25
26 This used to be a debian system and was moved over to gentoo about 4
27 years ago when I had been spending lots of time with gentoo on my
28 desktop at home. I like gentoo, however I would exercise caution if
29 you're deploying on "real" systems.
30
31 The issue is the "updating conservatively" part mentioned above. As
32 anyone who has run a server that other people are depending on knows,
33 you REALLY want to update as little as possible. The less updates, the
34 less surprises and the less chance you'll somehow accidently break
35 someone's site doing a simple update late some night. Gentoo is still a
36 fairly moving target in this respect.
37
38 I upgrade packages maybe once a week and since I have fallen behind in
39 some, I'm scared as hell to upgrade. I still have apache 1.3 running,
40 and because it'd deprecated I can't update any of the packages that go
41 along with it, meaning that to upgrade to the latest apache files, I
42 have to upgrade EVERYTHING associated with apache with no really good
43 rollback plan. Apache, php, modules, mod_perl, etc. No biggie at all
44 if it's your home server, but that's potentially a lot of downtime (ie:
45 a couple of hours) as I compile, test, re-jig the config files, test
46 more, etc. I'm in the same boat with postfix, running a 2.0.x when 2.2
47 or 2.3 is available, glib, mysql (I did an upgrade where some new utf8
48 flags were enabled and suddenly a bunch of databases were invalid
49 because the encoding was different), postgres, sqlite (more that I'm not
50 sure what they link to that might be affected) and some other system
51 packages.
52
53 Now most likely nothing will happen on upgrade, but with some users who
54 do business and lots of mail of the server, I'd rather not take the chance
55 if the current setup is working fine.
56
57 Maybe I'm being overly paranoid and sensitive, but I've worked as a
58 sysadmin long enough to have seen (and caused) way more "oh oh" moments
59 when an upgrade of something did something it really wasn't supposed to.
60
61 The source nature of gentoo doesn't help here either. IE: I'm unable to
62 upgrade curl or net-snmp on my server as both of those link to php, and
63 because my php is "old" and non-upgradeable due to the deprecated apache
64 I still have installed, upgrading curl or net-snmp would (and has)
65 broken php and therefor apache and therefor I got a call late at night
66 wondering why things were suddenly broken.
67
68 Now here gentoo also made it (fairly) easy to rollback, as I just copied
69 curl-$newversion.ebuild to curl-$previousversion.ebuild (the old version
70 was long gone IIRC), recompiled and it all worked. This would have been
71 impossible with say, debian if a binary package had broken something as
72 there's no real way to backout to a package you don't have anymore (and
73 that exact thing bit me when my server was running debian and partially
74 why I switched *to* gentoo!).
75
76 So while you want to upgrade conservatively, you can't be too
77 conservative or else your current package versions will disappear from
78 out from under you.
79
80 > That having been said, gentoo has a nice habit of providing a really
81 > comfortable environment for the deployment of just about anything. And
82 > unlike Fedora / Redhat, Debian, and some others I've used, there aren't
83 > any surprises when you go to configure anything.
84
85 Another "yes and no" from me. The "no" part comes from package
86 re-organization by maintainers which bit users a while back with the
87 apache config re-org and before that something similar done to X. Not a
88 problem exclusive to gentoo, but still an issue if the distro is doing
89 major shifts here and there.
90
91 I hope no one thinks I'm slamming gentoo here. I really do like it and
92 have been running it and being a faithful user for years. I've just
93 also been a sysadmin long enough to be a bit paranoid about production
94 servers which have too many things being upgraded too often.
95
96 I think the secret is that if you run with gentoo you have to be
97 prepared to upgrade EVERYTHING fairly often, and not bit by bit if
98 you're uncomfortable with something it might be upgrading.
99
100 HTH, or at least maybe puts a different perspective on it for people.
101
102 And yes, I do plan to just bit the bullet and backup, upgrade everything
103 and then deal with any upgrade "pains" as they come. Just not sure
104 quite when :)
105
106 Alan
110 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
112 "Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers." -- Unknown
113 --
114 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list