From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:29:30
1 On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 31 October 2009 23:26:33 Dale wrote:
3 >> Denis wrote:
4 >> > On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> >> And in fact does it really matter if its pointing at the newly
6 >> >> installed or actual running kernel, when kernel compiling operations
7 >> >> take place?
8 >> >
9 >> > When I upgrade a kernel, I first change the symlink using eselect to
10 >> > point to the source I'm about to install.  Then, after I configure and
11 >> > compile the kernel, I use the "module-rebuild rebuild" to rebuild any
12 >> > kernel modules against the new source.  Move the bzImage to /boot,
13 >> > reboot, and that's it.  I don't know how genkernel changes any of this
14 >> > - I use manual menuconfig.
15 >>
16 >> I'm about the same.  I update the symlink, build the kernel, update
17 >> nvidia-drivers against the new kernel before I forget, copy bzImage to
18 >> /boot and edit grub.  I reboot when I get the chance.
19 >
20 > I'm a forgetful old git. In my world it usually goes like this:
21 >
22 > emerge, build, install new kernel
23 > carry on with work
24 > boot into new kernel at some later point
25 > observe xdm doing nothing on-screen
26 > curse and swear mightily
27 > Ctrl-Alt-F1
28 > login as root
29 > check symlink
30 > module-rebuild rebuild
31 > modprobe -r nvidia && modprobe nvidia
32 > /etc/init.d/xdm restart && logout
33 >
34 > takes about 6 minutes total, 6 minutes that I'll never get back :-)
35 >
36 > --
37 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
38
39 So I think this thread addresses a question I've had about the kernel
40 installation process over the years. I only copy bzImage to /boot with
41 a rename to whatever this kernel is. I don't do anything with the
42 other files - System.map and something else - which I don't even have
43 on most of my systems anymore. They don't seem to be needed. Are they
44 just things used in the old days but now too outdated or replaced by
45 other stuff? (Like config.gz in the kernel, etc.)
46
47 Thanks,
48 Mark