From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Bellsouth dial-up, trying to anyway. :-(
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:24:50
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 02 June 2007 04:16, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Friday 01 June 2007 23:24, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
10 >>> As far as I can
11 >>> figure they say that you should have correction control and compression
12 >>> enabled on your modem. Can yours do that?
13 >>>
14 >> This thing has a ton of options in it. But I think the above may be the
15 >> issue we are having.
18 > Dig out the manual from your bottom draw or the Internet and see how you can
19 > tweak compression On.
22 I did do a google search a long time ago when I first got the modem. It
23 appears to be so old that there is no manual available. I just got a
24 list of the AT commands and poked around. Blind luck if I recall
25 correctly. LOL
26 >
27 >>> Not withstanding the above, your modem only sends packets but seems to
28 >>> receive nothing back from your ISP. Have you changed the serial port, or
29 >>> the serial cable, or the serial connector/adaptor to the modem? If you
30 >>> have by mistake used a null modem as opposed to a straight through RS-232
31 >>> serial cable the connection is unlikely to work (properly).
32 >>>
33 >>> Do you have another modem to try it with?
34 >>>
35 >> Yup, I do have another modem that is a Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO. It
36 >> works for my bro but not for me. It doesn't even work with my current
37 >> ISP. It tries to connect at 115K which is more like a serial port
38 >> speed. It seems to be confused, as am I right now.
41 > You can define connection speed through kppp (although I think this is the
42 > speed between the PC and the modem). Some AT command will tell the modem how
43 > fast to try to connect (more digging for a manual here).
46 >> This is what I am thinking about getting. I had this before it got hit
47 >> by lightening.
48 >> http://www.discountsales.com/shop/pub/1153574702_1177517624.htm I am
49 >> pretty sure it worked too. I know it did for my current ISP but I think
50 >> I used his ISP a few times too. I'm pretty sure this works with Bell
51 >> South. Your thoughts???
54 > My thoughts are:
55 >
56 > a)These days slow ADSL connections are charged as much as dial up Internet
57 > connections (in the UK it's either 'free' if you buy it as a bundle with a
58 > telephone service, or as little as £10, say $9.50 a month) - check out what
59 > BellSouth or other ISPs offer in your area.
60 > b)BellSouth's website recommends specific modems with V.92 spec:
61 > Zoom Conexant: Model Number 3049C
62 > Zoom Lucent: Model Number 3049L
63 > Creative Labs: Modem Blaster V.92 Serial
64 > Try one of those (especially if they are hardware modems, not softmodems) aand
65 > see how much they may be selling for (thrown away) in ebay. If these are
66 > only softmodems then google to find out what chip they have to see if there
67 > are Linux drivers for it (I'm very happy with ltmodem, not so happy with
68 > linuxant).
69 > c)If all else fails go for an Actiontec EX560LKA which is a true external
70 > hardware modem. Not sure what the one you are showing is and what software
71 > drivers it might need.
74 I wish I could get DSL of any kind out here but it is not available
75 yet. The last upgrade we got on our phone service is when we got off
76 the party line system. That's where 3 or 4 people share the same phone
77 line. Yea, that old. They killed my apple tree too. :-@
78
79 The link I gave is for the last one, the Actiontec modem. It is what I
80 had before and the one that got hit by lightening. I had to get the
81 current one as a replacement. Hey, it was only $10.00. LOL
82
83 I plan to go to my ISP tomorrow and see if they have a newer one. Wish
84 me luck.
85
86 Thanks for all the help.
87
88 Dale
89
93 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
94
95 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.