From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing how secure a server is...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:50:02
1 On Aug 2, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales wrote:
2
3 > Hey Colin,
4 >
5 > I was looking at the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and found these:
6 >
7 > LoginGraceTime 600
8 > MaxAuthTries 6
9 >
10 > Is the first one what you meant?
11 >
12 > The second seems like an attempt to avoid brute force login.
15 Neither is what I was thinking of, but they're quite similar.
16 LoginGraceTime means if nobody logged in within 10 minutes of the
17 connection being opened, then it will be closed. I don't know
18 exactly what MaxAuthTries does, but I imagine after the sixth invalid
19 login, the connection would be closed.
20
21 I found this site, check it out. It's for Red Hat (Gentoo is
22 better!), but it's the same SSHd:
23 http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap15sec122.html
26 > Also, does Grub need any kind of password protection? I don't know if
27 > it was Grub or Lilo that allowed root access unless password
28 > protected. Am I mistaken?
29
30 GRUB does have some password protection, but it is optional and only
31 needed IIRC if you want to boot something other than the default entry.
32
33 > As you can see, I still have a lot to learn. ;)
34
35 Me too. I'm waiting for some more hardware to arrive before I
36 connect this server to the networks (it's primarily a NAT gateway
37 with iptables, but also *for the LAN, not the Internet* runs Apache,
38 ProFTPd, SSHd and rsyncd for Portage).
39 --
40 Colin
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list