From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:42:51
1 On 31/08/2015 10:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 August 2015 18:26:49 Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> Modern appliances with Green stickers on them (whatever they're called) are
5 >> more efficient by design. To some extent this is also true with PCs. I
6 >> still have an old Pentium 4 32bit running a couple of test environments and
7 >> back up storage. I can assure you that the room gets hot after it has been
8 >> running for a couple of hours! :-)
9 >
10 > The desktop machine I'm referring to (an Amari "workstation") dates from 2009.
11 > It has an i5 processor, 16GB RAM* and two 2GB SSDs as the main power sinks. It
12 > sits (runs) in a boxroom 6ft square and keeps it comfortably warm. I haven't
13 > noticed any change in ambient temp since the SSDs replaced spinners.
14 >
15 > * Whoever named that Random Access had a strange understanding of English. The
16 > last thing I want from memory is random access! How much better it would have
17 > been to call it something like Direct Access. Oh well - much too late now.
21 It's random access to distinguish it from serial access. In the early
22 early days there were a lot of strange methods being tried to build
23 memory - like dots on a cathode ray tube! To get to bit you wanted, you
24 had to wait till the scanning beam reached that part of the screen -
25 serial access. Addressable memory on a grid pattern came much later.
26
27 Random Access really means "able to access any random address as fast as
28 any other random address".
29
30 RAM is also not the opposite of ROM :-)
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com