From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 08:51:24
1 On Sunday 30 August 2015 18:26:49 Mick wrote:
2
3 > Modern appliances with Green stickers on them (whatever they're called) are
4 > more efficient by design. To some extent this is also true with PCs. I
5 > still have an old Pentium 4 32bit running a couple of test environments and
6 > back up storage. I can assure you that the room gets hot after it has been
7 > running for a couple of hours! :-)
8
9 The desktop machine I'm referring to (an Amari "workstation") dates from 2009.
10 It has an i5 processor, 16GB RAM* and two 2GB SSDs as the main power sinks. It
11 sits (runs) in a boxroom 6ft square and keeps it comfortably warm. I haven't
12 noticed any change in ambient temp since the SSDs replaced spinners.
13
14 * Whoever named that Random Access had a strange understanding of English. The
15 last thing I want from memory is random access! How much better it would have
16 been to call it something like Direct Access. Oh well - much too late now.
19 Rgds
20 Peter