From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:27:36
1 On Sunday 30 Aug 2015 18:05:13 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/08/2015 19:00, Dale wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> On 30/08/2015 17:56, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > >>> On Sunday 30 August 2015 00:04:43 Philip Webb wrote:
6 > >>>> How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between
7 > >>>> reboots ? How long between power off/on's ?
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>> I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
10 > >>>> then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself.
11 > >>>> However recently, I've run into delays getting my router
12 > >>>> (only 1 device attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's
13 > >>>> server, which have been requiring several power off/on's before it
14 > >>>> works. As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly
15 > >>>> system update -- it means I get to use the new versions of everything
16 > >>>> --
17 > >>>> & not powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off
18 > >>>> whenever I'm away from the machine for >= 1 hr (approx).
19 > >>>>
20 > >>>> Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
21 > >>>
22 > >>> No-one has yet mentioned taking backups. I'm still using a brute-force
23 > >>> approach, in which I shut down each of my two machines once a week to
24 > >>> make a backup to external disk. Otherwise they're on 24 hours a day
25 > >>> running BOINC projects. On the desktop PC kmail makes a daily archive
26 > >>> of messages, and once a day a cron job copies my user directory to
27 > >>> /home/<me>.bu/ .
28 > >>>
29 > >>> I know it burns energy but I'm prepared to make my small contribution
30 > >>> to what I think is a good cause.
31 > >>
32 > >> A desktop or laptop will typically draw far less power than a single 60W
33 > >> incandescent bulb. I bet you have quite a lot of those. Even if not, the
34 > >> CFLs you'll have to give you light at night still draw much much more
35 > >> than a computer.
36 > >>
37 > >> If saving energy is your personal driver, then you should be looking at
38 > >> water heaters, central heaters, aircon and stove as the main culprits.
39 > >> Everything else, whilst measurable, is a small drop in the bucket and
40 > >> probably not worth worrying about.
41 > >>
42 > >> Assuming of course that your computer is a desktop/laptop, and not a 42U
43 > >> cabinet jam packed full of Dell 2950s
44 > >
45 > > Don't forget the clothes dryer to, if you have one. Mine is electric
46 > > and it pulls as much as my water heater does. I just don't use it as
47 > > much is all.
48 >
49 > I forgot about that :-)
50 >
51 > Add in almost all laundry appliances and kitchen power tools too...
52
53 Modern appliances with Green stickers on them (whatever they're called) are
54 more efficient by design. To some extent this is also true with PCs. I still
55 have an old Pentium 4 32bit running a couple of test environments and back up
56 storage. I can assure you that the room gets hot after it has been running
57 for a couple of hours! :-)
58 --
59 Regards,
60 Mick