From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: How do I dive into directory from GNOME-type menu?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 01:48:19
1 On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:49:54AM +0100, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote
2 > waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 > > This happens when I try to "Save As" from Gnumeric or Gimp or
5 > > AbiWord. I select a directory and try to navigate into it by left
6 > > clicking on the folder icon. Nothing happens. If I madly left-click
7 > > away on it for 15 or 20 seconds, the folder finally opens up. There
8 > > has got to be an easier way. Note: I'm running ICEWM, not GNOME.
9 > > Gnumeric/Gimp/Abiword are GNOME apps that I'd happily get rid of, if
10 > > the alternatives weren't worse.
11 >
12 > I never had this problem with Gimp or any other gtk2 based program.
13 >
14 > I'm using XFCE and have no Gnome installed. Works perfect. Many years
15 > ago I used Gimp with KDE3. Also without problems.
16 >
17 > Never used Gnumeric or Abiword. I'm using Libreoffice instead.
18 >
19 > I don't know what kind of work you do with Gimp. So I can't give you
20 > a recommendation for a replacement. What I can say is that you will
21 > not find a program for Linux with the same features as Gimp. But
22 > depending on what you wanna do you will maybe find some other tool
23 > that will meet your demands.
24 >
25 > Btw: I don't think that Gimp is a Gnome app. It just has some
26 > dependencies that also Gnome has, but it can be installed and used
27 > without Gnome.
28
29 GTK+, the base of GNOME, first started out as "Gimp ToolKit". That's
30 where the acronym "GTK" came from. So yes, GIMP is a GNOME app. I also
31 run AbiWord and Gnumeric without full-blown-GNOME. What's maddening is
32 that Gnumeric seems to be pulling in more and more GNOME dependancies.
33 E.g. it used to be able to build without Goffice libs or Ghostscript or
34 dbus. I have some large spreadsheets that kill LibreOffice or
35 OpenOffice merely importing the spreadsheet, so no option.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications