From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sshfs issue
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:00:15
1 On Thursday 28 February 2008, Chris Brennan wrote:
2 > Are you sure the switch/hub/router is failing?
5 > With any remote connection such as smb/nfs/sshfs, if the target becomes
6 > unavailable for some reason such as lag or a bad route from Point A to
7 > Point B then that terminal window will hang till point B is reachable.
8
9 Ha! I was blaming MSWindows for causing the PC to hang whenever I was trying
10 to connect to the office file server (through a VPN session). My reasoning
11 went that I shouldn't lose the whole machine for 10 minutes, while waiting
12 for an error that it couldn't authenticate me on the domain controller. I
13 blamed the OS for being stupid of course (not withstanding the outsourced
14 tech support who can't fix it). In the sense that neither Linux, nor Gentoo
15 constitutes a stupid OS, I think this is a bug. Fine for the
16 application/terminal to crash, but not the whole machine.
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick