From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 19:12:32
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On 13/05/2011 5:00 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Probably a dumb one, but...
5 >>
6 >> I have /home, /usr and /var on separate partitions...
7 >>
8 >> If I want to image my system prior to the update 'just in case'
9 >> something goes south, am I correct that all I need to worry about is /,
10 >> since /etc is located there?
11 >>
12 >> In other words, is anything on /usr or /var touched during this update?
15 >        If you want to be reeaallyyy safe, and want an image and not a
16 > backup, grab the latest copy of SystemRescueCd, a couple of TB of usb
17 > external drive space, which is very cheap these days, and use partImage to
18 > grab a true image of your whole system. I started doing this recently and
19 > it's saved me once so far. Things "flew apart big time" for me recently, a
20 > disk failure, I rebooted into the rescue cd and hey presto, 30 minutes
21 > later, everything was good.
22 >
23 >        Andrew
26 Another tool which will work well is dd.
27 as an example to back up my laptop before experimenting with new
28 distros, I do dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/backup/jalopy.img bs=2M to back
29 up the drive for a bare metal restore of the 40 GB hard drive.
30
31 James Wall