From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 22:36:51
1 On Friday 13 May 2011 20:11:01 James Wall wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > On 13/05/2011 5:00 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > >> Probably a dumb one, but...
5 > >>
6 > >> I have /home, /usr and /var on separate partitions...
7 > >>
8 > >> If I want to image my system prior to the update 'just in case'
9 > >> something goes south, am I correct that all I need to worry about is /,
10 > >> since /etc is located there?
11 > >>
12 > >> In other words, is anything on /usr or /var touched during this update?
13 > >
14 > > If you want to be reeaallyyy safe, and want an image and not a
15 > > backup, grab the latest copy of SystemRescueCd, a couple of TB of usb
16 > > external drive space, which is very cheap these days, and use partImage
17 > > to grab a true image of your whole system. I started doing this recently
18 > > and it's saved me once so far. Things "flew apart big time" for me
19 > > recently, a disk failure, I rebooted into the rescue cd and hey presto,
20 > > 30 minutes later, everything was good.
21 > >
22 > > Andrew
23 >
24 > Another tool which will work well is dd.
25 > as an example to back up my laptop before experimenting with new
26 > distros, I do dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/backup/jalopy.img bs=2M to back
27 > up the drive for a bare metal restore of the 40 GB hard drive.
28 >
29 > James Wall
30
31 Is the bs=2M important? Should one use the block size of the drive?
32 --
33 Regards,
34 Mick